Submitted Media Release – Submitted Photos
The County of Brant Fire Department promotes a safe and festive holiday season.
“We want everyone to enjoy this holiday season,” said Doug Kellam, Fire Prevention Officer for the County of Brant Fire Department. “The holidays are a great time to gather, eat, drink and be merry. To make sure you have the best holiday, we encourage you to remember fire safety.”
The Fire Prevention Officers at the County of Brant offer the following fire safety reminders:
· Cooking is the leading cause of fire during the holidays. Always stay in the kitchen while cooking. If you must leave, remove your pots and pans and turn off the stove.
· Keep candles in a sturdy holder away from children, pets and anything that can burn. Blow them out before leaving the room.
· Smoking is the leading cause of fatal fires. Butt out in large, deep ashtrays.
· Alcohol is a factor in one in five fatal fires during the holidays. Drink responsibly.
· If you are buying a real Christmas tree, make sure it is freshly cut and kept in a stand full of water at all times.
Check all decorative lights before placing them on the tree and discard any frayed or damaged lights or cords. Never place candles on or near the tree. When large amounts of needles begin to fall off, it’s time to get rid of the tree.
If you have any questions about fire safety, please contact Doug, Tom or Jeff Fire Prevention Officers at the County of Brant Fire Department; 519.442.4500.