Submitted Media Release
Brantford Power is warning customers to be aware of a telephone scam targeting residents and businesses in Brantford.
Brantford Power customers have reported receiving fraudulent automated outbound telephone calls from a phone number masked as Brantford Power (519) 751-3522 and 1-800 numbers. The message threatens the customer with immediate disconnection if they do not pay an overdue balance immediately.
Customers who receive a suspicious call should hang up and not provide any personal information. Please contact our Customer Care department at 519-751-3522 during regular business hours to verify your account information.
Brantford Power reminds customers that utilities follow the rules mandated by the Ontario Energy Board when it comes to notifying customers about past due accounts. Customers will receive written notices if they have an overdue account and we do not threaten immediate disconnection.
It is very important to note that Brantford Power:
· Does not have a 1-800 number.
· Does not make automated outbound calls.
· Does not disconnect customers without prior notice.
· Will not call you to ask you for your account number.
· Will not ask you to go somewhere out of the city to make a payment.
Brantford Power has contacted the Brantford Police Department regarding this scam. Customers are also asked to report any suspicious phone calls they receive to the Police at 519-756-0113 and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.
Brantford Power provides these reminders and tips to help our customers stay safe and protect themselves from possible scams.
REMINDERS AND SAFETY TIPS
· Brantford Power does not contact customers after hours by telephone regarding the status of their account. We provide written notice of any past due accounts.
· Brantford Power will never threaten immediate disconnection for non-payment.
· Brantford Power will not ask you for your account number.
· Do not provide callers or people who come to your door with any personal information, a copy of your Brantford Power bill or details about your account.
· Do not respond to phone calls requesting a call back regarding your account. Instead, call Brantford Power directly at 519-751-3522 to confirm the status of your account.
· Do not let strangers in your home who claim to need to inspect equipment or assess energy efficiency rebates.
· If you feel threatened in any way, contact the Brantford Police Department at
· You can report any suspicious phone calls you receive to the Brantford Police Department at 519-756-0113 and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.
· If you are unsure if a communication from Brantford Power is legitimate, please contact our Customer Care department at 519-751-3522 during regular business hours.