Submitted Media Release

The County of Brant Fire Department is reminding you to check your carbon monoxide detectors and ensure all fuel-burning appliances are inspected annually. Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is November 1 – 7, 2018 and the theme this year is Beat the Silent Killer: Prevent CO in Your Home.

“In Ontario, more than 65% of injuries and deaths from carbon monoxide occur in the home,” said Fire Chief Michael Seth. “We want to make sure everyone is safe from carbon monoxide.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home:

  • Ensure fuel-burning appliances, chimneys and vents are cleaned and inspected annually. Visit to find a registered contractor near you.
  • Check that all outside appliance vents are not blocked.
  • Gas and charcoal barbeques should only be used outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Never use barbeques inside garages, even if the garage doors are open.
  • Portable fuel-burning generators should only be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from windows, doors, vents and other building openings.
  • Ensure all portable fuel-burning heaters are vented properly, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
  • Never use the stove or oven to heat your home.
  • Open the flue before using a fireplace for adequate ventilation.
  • Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor inside a garage, even if the garage doors are open. Always remove a vehicle from the garage immediately after starting it.

“You must have a working carbon monoxide alarm outside of each sleeping area of the home if your home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage,” said Fire Chief Michael Seth. “For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of the home according to manufacturer’s instructions.”

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly. It is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances. The County of Brant and the Hawkins-Gignac foundation are working together in the community to protect citizens from the silent killer. Visit the Hawkins-Gignac website at

For more information, contact the Fire Department at 519.442.4500.