Submitting an Article
BScene welcomes all viewpoints and perspectives to join the conversation about our city!
- Submissions must tell a story about the community, a profile of a person in the community, a community event, or written by a person from the community.
- Each piece must be written from a personal standpoint.
- All submissions MUST be positive in scope and nature. No tearing down; No ‘calling out’ or ‘dumping on’ others. Submissions cannot attack, discredit, or ridicule the work of any individual, business or organization. A detailed argument against an issue however, is welcome.
- Submissions should be 500-1000 words in length to be considered for publication in the print edition. Considerations can also be made for a photo essay should the content fit the community criteria.
- Submissions must present clear thoughts, ideas or arguments, and be written with proper spelling and grammar.
- Press/Media/Advertorial releases are not acceptable as writer’s content. Advertorials are handled through the Bscene advertising content guidelines.
Your Submission should include…
- A copy of the story, in .doc, .docx .wpd, and .pdf. or paste a version in the email itself.
- 1-3 high resolution photos that can be used with the story. More if you plan on submitting photography work.
- A high resolution headshot of yourself – necessary for publication in the print edition.
- Online media contact information. We plan on showcasing your great work. Twitter handle is preferred, but a facebook page (not personal profile), or e-mail address is also accepted. Note: this information will be published. You may also include a relevant website link, so long as the content is not adult in nature.
Bscene Reserves the Right to…
- Edit your piece to meet the editorial guidelines for the publication without jeopardizing the integrity of your submission.
- Promote you and your piece on our website, as well as through social media. When your story is published online, we encourage you to share the story through your social media networks.
Other Important Notes
- The submission deadline for consideration in the following month’s edition of BScene is the 22nd of each month. (Example: September 22 for October)
- Submitting an article cannot guarantee that it will be published, in the same month or otherwise. Stories that meet our standards will be printed in BScene at our discretion.
If you have any additional questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Writing for BScene – Technical Guidelines
- Use .doc, .docx , .wpd, and .pdf .
- If these formats are not available to you, please copy and paste the entire text of your story within the body of an email.
- Please type your article in Times New Roman, size 12 for easier editing and formatting.
Slang and Emphasis
- Do not use ‘ or “ for emphasis or slang.
- If you are using a word in an unfamiliar context, use italics.
- To emphasize a word in your story, use either italics or bold.
- Quotation marks should not be used for anything other than a quote.
- At the end of each sentence, place a single space after the period. At the end of each paragraph, leave an extra single space in between.
- For any word that has both a Canadian and an American spelling, use the Canadian spelling.
- The punctuation you use should be based on readability. Your story should be easy to read, and the punctuation you use should help the reader, not hinder them.
- Use dashes, ellipses, semi-colons, and colons only when appropriate.
- Remember, our readers are from all ages and all walks of life. Unless you are using scientific language, the language you use should be simple and understandable. Refrain from course language or vulgarity.